Thursday, September 1, 2011

Opening Ceremony


Each trimester the students have an opening ceremony to start things off.  They sit in perfect rows, they quietly sing the school song, and they try to stay awake to listen to a number of speeches by the kouchou sensei (principal) and teachers.  For opening ceremony on September 1st, the students had to try and stay awake through a short speech that I made as well.

Kyoutou sensei (vice principal) walks by the students looking very official with his clip board while one of the English teachers videos opening remarks.

I wore a suit jacket, a skirt, and panty hose despite the fact that I would have been sweating in gym shorts and a t-shirt.  I walked up on stage and nervously proceeded to tell the students about myself, where I am from, what I like to do, and that I was looking forward to seeing them in class... all in Japanese.  When I was finished and they began to clap, I was so relieved.  Public speaking has always been something I have avoided.  Public speaking in a language that I do not know was terrifying, but I did it.


After the ceremony, I went back to the staff room and worked on some activities for next week.  A group of girls came in the staff room (which they often do if they have questions for teachers) and one of them told me in English that my Japanese was very good.  I was so happy!  It made me want to work hard to learn the Japanese language.

There were no classes that day, but after the ceremony the students had to be checked over by teachers to make sure they weren't breaking any school rules of appearance.  You see, in Japanese high school you must wear a school uniform, you cannot dye your hair, you cannot paint your nails, and you cannot wear makeup.  A matter of cultural differences I suppose. Can you imagine trying to police American students on this?

It was a good first day of school, and I am really looking forward to the rest of the school year.

1 comment:

  1. I wanted to stop in and let you guys know that I am reading and enjoying your adventures! You rock!

    ReplyDelete