Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Tanjoubi (Birthday) in Tokyo

Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building (view from Becky's hotel)

Our brief time in Tokyo was a bit of a whirlwind. The jet lag that results from traveling halfway around the world can be quite severe. I tend to take about five days to recover completely, and during those five days I am basically a zombie.
As a new JET Program ALT (Assistant Language Teacher), Becky was required to spend the first few jet-lagged days at an orientation comprised of a dizzying amount of  seminars, some of which are more interesting than others. No matter how interesting, the JET-lag stupor kind of makes everything run together.
I arrived in Tokyo a day after Becky, and spent two nights sleeping on the floor at a friend’s apartment. Becky and I didn’t get to see each other until the evening of my birthday. Still both exhausted, we kept it low-key. We did a little birthday shopping in Daikanyama, ate dinner at the A to Z Cafe in Aoyama, and got some blended drinks at Godiva in Harajuku. This particular Godiva was designed by Wonderwall, one of the best interior design firms in Japan. Whenever I visit Tokyo, I try to check out a new Wonderwall designed shop/cafe/restaurant.

Birthday Ben with birthday bag and birthday blended drink


No comments:

Post a Comment