Monday, October 17, 2011

iPhone 4S x Mushroom Hunting


Saturday, October 15, was supposed to be an event that we were looking to for weeks that got cancelled due to a rainy forecast. This is ironic because it ended up not raining at all and because the description of the event said “rain or shine.”



The event was an educational mushroom hunt at the Miki Yama Forest Park, which we have blogged about before. The basic premise was that 40 people would all scour the forest for mushrooms, gather them to one place, and a mushroom expert would teach us about them. Hunting for edible mushrooms is a common practice all across Japan for those who live near the many mountains. Some places even have organized hunts where you pay admission to collect mushrooms like you would for fruit picking, and then afterwards you barbecue them along with other foods.



I have become a little obsessed over mushroom hunting after I started observing them everywhere at the forest park. I have always been a fan of learning survival skills, and foraging for wild foods is a big part of that. I’m also intrigued by the mushroom hunting tradition in Japan. In the States, serious mushroom hunting is limited to very specific regions and is probably largely restricted to die-hard mycology fans. I’ve never met someone in the the States who hunted for wild mushrooms.



But in Japan, where 73% of the country is forested and mountainous, the mushroom plays a much more critical role in the cuisine. The average grocery store has at least six or seven different species of mushrooms. And while mushroom hunting is not a national past-time, it is definitely more common in Japan, and probably most people have eaten a dish at some point that contains wild mushrooms.


All the pictures in the this post were taken with my new iPhone 4S while I was hiking in Miki Yama. A lot of the pictures are out of focus, which I blame more on me than the camera. The get the pictures, I was often squatting in the bushes with spiderwebs in my face and mosquitos buzzing around me, not the best conditions for a steady hand. I hope as I play with the camera more that I can capture some really good mushroom photography in the future. I'm also hoping that they reschedule the mushroom hunt soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment